The Van Winkle House at 316 Riverside Avenue was built in
1797 by Jacob Van Winkle, who donated the property on which
the first schoolhouse in Lyndhurst was built in 1804.
The Van Winkle House is a large brown sandstone structure
with a gambrel roof. It was used as a home until 1921, when it
was purchased by the Masonic Order. It is still used as a
Masonic Lodge today. The house is registered in the Historic
Architectural Building Survey of 1934 (HABS NJ 477).
The Jeremiah J. Yereance House at 410 Riverside Avenue
was placed on the National Register in 1986. The building is a
simple vernacular clapboard built at two different times. The left
side appears to have been built before 1841, with ‘eyebrow’
With the Little Red Schoolhouse on adjacent property, it was a
convenient location for a teacher at the schoolhouse to board
during the week. One teacher, Miss Peggy Rice, who lived on
Long Island, did just that.
Both the Van Winkle House and the Yereance House are
privately owned and not open to the public.
Van Winkle House today.
Other Sites of Interest